Concrete solutions for our greatest challenges
- Cities produce >70% of global CO2 emissions
- They account for > 65% of global energy consumption
- They take up only 4% of the EU’s land area;
- Cities are home to 75% of EU citizens.
- Contribute to the European Green Deal ambition to reduce gas emissions by at least 55%
- Offer cleaner air, safer transport and less congestion to citizens;
- Lead in climate and digital innovation, making Europe attractive for investments from innovative companies and skilled work
Deliver 100+ climate-neutral and smart cities by 2030 and inspire all other cities to follow suit by 2050.
- The Horizon Europe programme will provide €359.3 million in seed funding during the period 2021-23 to help deliver on the mission;
- Launch of a Mission Platform to provide technical, regulatory, and financial assistance to cities working on the mission;
- Cities will prepare, sign and implement Climate City Contracts, co-created with citizens and local stakeholders;
- Launch a portfolio of research and innovation projects and set up a Global Knowledge Exchange Centre;
- A network of national, local and regional authorities will support the cities’ transition to climate neutrality.
Comunicación sobre Misiones: Commission launches EU missions to tackle major challenges (europa.eu)
Planes de Implementación: Implementation Plans for the EU Missions | European Commission (europa.eu)
Preguntas y respuestas: Questions and answers: EU missions (europa.eu)